Almost No-Fat Brownies
Loaded with chocolate but not too sweet, these barely any fat brownies have the rich fudge taste and texture you desire without all of the fat.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 oz (1/2 c.) medium-firm tofu OR firm or extra-firm SILKEN tofu
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water (can be part liqueur of choice, such as Kahlua)
- 4 teaspoons powdered egg replacer
- 1 tablespoon coffee (or coffee substitute) granules or espresso powder
- 2-3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- OPTIONAL: 1/4-1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In the food processor mix until smooth the sugar, tofu, cocoa, water, egg replacer, coffee granules, vanilla and vinegar. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Add the cocoa mixture and mix briefly. Add nuts, if using.
- Pour the mixture into a 7 x 11" or 8 x 8" cake pan lined with cooking parchment. Spread evenly. Bake 25 minutes. Cool on a rack in the pan, then cut into bars.
Nutrition facts include 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. If you need a big batch of brownies, triple the recipe and use 1 12.3 oz. box of extra-firm (regular or lite) SILKEN tofu.