Applesauce Cake with Whipped Tofu Topping
Wait until you bite into this moist, warm, delicious applesauce cake with a cool, whipped tofu topping. Easy to make and great for the whole family!
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, brown rice syrup, or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 tablespoon soy or other nondairy milk.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Oil a 10-inch round cake pan or 8- or 9-inch square baking pan. Beat oil, maple syrup, and vanilla together until smooth. Stir in applesauce, raisins, and walnuts. In separate bowl, sift remaining ingredients together. Dough will be stiff. Spread into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes, or until cake pulls away from edges of pan and knife inserted in center comes out dry. Cool on rack. Serve cake plain or with whipped tofu topping. It's also delicious frosted.
- If needed Puree tofu, sweetener, oil, and vanilla or almond extract in blender or food processor until very smooth and creamy. Add milk if necessary for creamy texture. Chill for at least one hour before using. It will firm slightly as it chills.
A few drops of liquid stevia extract can be substituted for other sweeteners.
Recipes from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook copyright © 2005 by Cathe Olson.