Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
This delicious meal is high in protein, vitamin A, and iron. If you're in a hurry, you can use prepared enchilada sauce instead of making your own.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups or 1 (15-ounce can) cooked black beans with a little cooking water
- 2 cups chopped greens (kale, spinach, etc.)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce (recipes follows)
- 8 large whole grain flour tortillas or slices mountain bread, or 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces nondairy sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and sauté 5 to 10 minutes or until soft. Add sweet potatoes. Cover and cook about 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in beans and greens. Cover and heat about 5 minutes until greens are wilted. Add a little water if necessary to prevent scorching. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover bottom of 9 x 13-inch baking dish with about 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce. Place tortilla or mountain bread on flat surface. Scoop a line of filling across the width of tortilla or mountain bread about 2 inches from the bottom. Spoon sour cream across filling. Roll enchilada up and place in pan, seam side down. Repeat until all filling has been used. Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce. Cover pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings