Cranberry Orange Muffins
These tangy, eggless muffins are made with flaxseeds which supply omega-3 essential fatty acids.
- 1 cup orange juice 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons honey, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, or maple syrup
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons flaxseeds, ground
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Oil muffin tins.
- Place juice, grated orange peel, sweetener, and cranberries in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until steam begins to rise. Remove from heat. Stir in oil.
- In separate bowl, sift flours, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt together. Stir in ground flaxseeds.
- Mix cranberry mixture into flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out dry.
Use a coffee grinder, seed grinder, or blender to grind the flaxseeds.