Ask the VegFamily Dieticians
Our panel of dieticians and nutritionists specialize in vegan diet nutritional information. Before submitting a question of your own please review our list of past questions and responses listed below. You may submit your nutrition and health question here.
Vegan Nutrition with Dina Aronson, MS, RDDina Aronson, MS, RD is a vegan dietitian whose specialties include chronic disease prevention, vegetarian/vegan nutrition, and lifestyle management. She is the founder and director of VeganRD.com, a nutrition consulting company. Active in many vegetarian nutrition organizations, Dina was the recipient of the American Dietetic Association's Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year Award in 2002. Read past questions for Dina here.
Vegan Nutrition with Marty Davey, MS, RD
Marty Davey is a Registered Dietitian and has a Masters degree in Food and Nutrition from Marywood University. She became a vegetarian in 1980 when she discovered that the French didn't want our meat products due to factory farming methods and began studying nutrition while cleansing her diet to a totally plant-based lifestyle. She has a private practice specializing in assisting clients transitioning from the conventional Western foods to a plant-based regime. Read past questions for Marty here.
Vegan Nutrition with Jill Nussinow, MS, RD Jill Nussinow is a Registered Dietitian, culinary educator, cookbook author, speaker and consultant and all around proponent of a plant-based diet. She teaches vegetarian and vegan cooking at Santa Rosa Junior College in California and other places around the US. One of her greatest joys is sharing her enthusiasm for vegetables and pressure cooking with anyone who will listen. Visit Jill's website TheVeggieQueen.com and her blog. Read past questions for Jill here.
Raw Health and Beauty with Kimberly Snyder
By immersing herself in the diverse, local communities throughout Australia, Asia, Africa, Europe and South America, Snyder discovered a common bond: the use of raw, natural ingredients in furthering health and beauty.† After returning to the U.S. she founded Envision Beauty to create products that combined maximum simplicity with unparalleled quality, using natural ingredients. She is a highly sought-after yoga instructor and a certified Raw Food Nutrition Specialist and Chef. Read past questions answered by Kimberly here.
Vegan Nutrition with Marilyn Peterson Marilyn Peterson is a self-taught Transition Diet Consultant, teacher and chef for over 35 years. She has worked at Cal-a-vie Spa and Woody Herralson's O2 restaurant. She became vegetarian in 1966 and vegan in 1981. From her years of studying with doctors in nutrition & preventive medicine, and working with clients as well as her personal experience, she has written the book Vegan Bite By Bite with the voice of a personal coach. Vegan Bite By Bite has over 100 delicious, easy, recipes, interviews from medical doctors plus much, more! Visit her website www.veganbitebybite.com. Read past questions for Marilyn here.
New at VegFamily!
Nutrition Consultations by Marty Davey, RD, MS.
New vegan? Pregnant? Have young children? Weight problems? Experiencing health issues you suspect may be diet related? Get expert input on diet and nutritional needs for you and your family! Click here.
- The Vegan Way for Babies - How can my baby gain weight in a fast enough rate without feeding him dairy?
- Vegan Protein Allergies - I am allergic to all of my protein sources. I am not sure what to do?
- Gaining Weight as a Vegan - What am I Doing Wrong? - I'm gaining weight as a vegan. What am I doing wrong?
- Change in Menstruation - Is it connected to my new vegan diet?
- Gastric Surgery - Is veganism possible after weight loss surgery?
- Transitioning to Vegan - Please help me make the switch from vegetarian to vegan!
- How to Balance Your Diet - What am I doing wrong?
- Fish Oil Substitute - What do you suggest?
- Lack of Energy - What's missing in my diet?
- Going Raw for Weight loss - Do you recommend going raw for losing weight?
- Using Agave Nectar During Pregnancy - Do you have any advice regarding the use of agave nectar during pregnancy?
- Getting the Proper-Balanced Diet - My son, who is 19 and lives in a college apartment, has been vegan for about a year and a half. How do we know that he is getting the proper, balanced diet that he needs?
- Acne Help - I have worsening, oily, blemish-prone skin since going vegan.
- Weaning off soy formula to soy milk - Why is he having diarrhea?
- B12 for Children - What's the best way to givemy 7 month old daughter b12?
- Esselstyn's Diet - I am allergic to beans, nuts, eggs, fish. What do I substitute for beans? Whey protein?
- Six year old challenging vegan lifestyle - If I can just get him past this hurdle...
- Constipation - I literally eat vegetables, salads, brown rice and fruits all day but I am still constipated.
- Whole Grains - Is there anything to the current trend of calling whole grains unhealthy and unfit for human consumption unless they are soaked or sprouted first?
- DHA - Does the algae form of DHA have the same benefits as fish oil DHA?
- The Schwarzbein Principle - I'm curious to know what you think about this and how you propose vegans obtain this balance.
- Weight Gain From Carbs - My doctor is blaming my vegan diet.
- Blended Fruit - Is it as good as whole fruit?
- Pregnant and Going Vegan - Is it okay to make the switch now?
- Type 1 Diabetes - Is it safe to go vegan?
- Protein for Healing - What are the very best things to eat to facilitate healing?
- Allergies and Food - Help me find foods I can eat when I go out.
- Raw Diet and Protein - How do I get enough?
- Going Raw in Pregnancy - Can I have a healthy and safe pregnancy?
- Reverse Osmosis Water System - I've heard it is not healthy.
- Soy Milk Estrogen - If soy milk is bad for children then why doesn't it have a warning label?
- Vitamin B 12 Deficiency - Girlfriend, get thee to a vitamin shop.
- Weight Gain Tips - I want to put on weight without giving up the vegan lifestyle.
- Hypothyroidism - What is a good diet for hypothyroidism?
- Vegan Nutrition Education - Is there a way to become a licensed vegan nutritional advisor without having to go through a "regular" nutritional program?
- Protein Source - I have been a vegetarian for a couple of months now and I am having a hard time finding a variety of protein source.
- Becoming a Vegan: How to Become a Vegan - How do you get started on becoming a Vegan?
- Don't I Have to do Tricky Food Combos to be Plant-Based and Healthy - What legume/carbohydrate combinations provide the best amino acid combinations for producing protein?
- Does Low BMI Prohibit Becoming Vegan - I'm a teen vegetarian wanting to convert to veganism, but I have a low BMI of 15.9. Is it safe for me to become a vegan?
- Nutritional Yeast - Can I give it to my 5 year old daughter without fear of side effects?
- Ulcerative Colitis - Does a vegan diet help?
- Raw Food Wannabe but hold the nuts - I am vegan and trying to embrace a completely raw foods diet.
- How does a mom get that picker eater some fruits and veggies - I can't get my five year old to eat any fruit and vegetables.
- Flax - What's better - the ground seed or the liquid?
- Liquid B12 - Does B12 come in liquid drops for infants?
- Proteins & Grains - Can I get enough protein by eating lots of greens as well as sunflower and pumpkin seeds?
- Front Loading Carbs: Does it Work? - Does front loading your carbs, say 65% for your breakfast meal, work for scaling down your intake for the remainder of your day?
- Foods with Fiber - How does fiber affect the nutritional content of a product?
- Feeding Milk to Baby: Giving baby hemp milk - I am still breastfeeding my one year old daughter who is allergic to soy. Will rice milk provide her with adequate nutrition? How can I incorporate fat into her diet that is absent in rice milk?
- Vitamin B 12 - What is the recommended dosage?
- Dark Circles Under My Children's Eyes - Is something missing in their diet?
- Dry vs. Cooked Whole Wheat Pasta and Peas - Is there any nutritional difference?
- Diarrhea and Fatigue - Fishing for an answer
- Super Supplements: Is this good nutrition for breastfeeding? - Do you think it would be safe to take while I am breastfeeding?
- What Do Vegetarians and Vegans Eat? - Can you give me any suggestions as far as literature or supplements I should look into so I start off on the right track?
- Gluten intolerance - I want to become a vegetarian but what can I eat?
- Weight loss plateau and ammonia-like sweat - Is it my vegan diet?
- Feeding Baby the First Year - By baby is underweight. What should I feed him?
- Leaky Gut Syndrome: What is the best diet for leaky gut? - Is vegetable juice fasting best for leaky gut? And if so, for how long?
- Feeding Baby Solid Food: Making Your Own Baby Food - Please advise me on how I can raise a healthy son.
- Vegetables and Protein - Kids needs with differing tastes
- Side Effects of Soy - Is soy ice cream causing my cramps?
- Omega 3 Sources - Can I meet my omega-3 needs by drinking fortified soy milk?
- Food to Eat for a Low Carb Diet - Any suggestions on a low-carb vegetarian diet for a hypoglycemic?
- Feeding Baby Solid Foods - What are the best foods?
- Elimination Diet for Food Allergies - Where do I start?
- Pregnancy Weight Gain - I am 30 pounds heavier than my prepregnancy weight of 138 pounds. Help!
- Protein-rich Vegan Snacks - What are some that all kids will enjoy?
- Belly Fat - What can I do to get rid of this stubborn fat?
- Vitamin D and Calcium - Are they linked to bones?
- Foods High in Protein: I need to increase my BUN number - What is the recommended range for the BUN number?
- Low Cholesterol Diet - What can I do to lower my cholesterol? - I am a 56 year old vegan male (vegan for about 17 years). I am fairly active, ride my bicycle about 3-4000 km. per year. My only problem is high cholesterol.
- Daily Vitamin Supplements: What Supplements are Essential - WI've been vegan for about a year now and take vitamins/supplements but was wondering exactly what supplements are essential to take everyday and how much of each vitamin (i.e. mg's or IU's) I should be taking to sustain long term health.
- Nutrition for a Vegan: Nutrition Deficiency Test - Should I get tested every few years for deficiencies?
- Allergy Diet - Legume Allergy - My son is allergic to ALL legumes. Is a vegan diet possible for him?
- What Are Carbohydrates: Good Carbohydrates - What is the difference between good and bad carbs?
- Iron Deficient Anemia - High intake of calcium prevents the absorption of iron?
- What Do Vegans Eat? - Vegan Food Plan
- Picky Eater Toddler - Picky Eaters
- Vegan Nutrition - Good Books to Read!
- Vegetarian to Vegan - Health Problems
- Getting Enough Protein - Concerns of a Weightlifter
- Soy and Acne - Soy and Acne: What causes pimples?
- Soy - Is it a health problem?
- Healthy Stool - Should it float?
- Raw Versus Dried Fruits - Do they have the same nutritional qualities?
- Getting Enough Vitamin B12 and Vitamn D - How can it be done naturally?
- Leaky Gut and Gluten Free Whole Grains - Do such foods heal it or hurt it?
- How to Increase HDL Cholesterol Level
- B6, B12, and Flaxseed - How much do my children need?
- Terrible Gas and Itchiness - Is it food related?
- Daily Vitamin Supplements - Do I need them even if I feel fantastic?
- Probiotics - My father has an 'ethical' issue with consuming probiotics.
- Brittle and Cracking Toenails - Are my girls mising something in their diet?
- Feeding Baby - Vegan meat and soy milk
- Flaxseed - How to use as an egg substitute
- Ridges in Nails - Is this caused by a deficiency?
- Vitamin B12 Dosage -Information on supplementing with vitamin b12 and b12 rich foods.
- Natural Cure For High Cholesterol - How can my cholesterol be high when I eat no cholesterol?
- Vegan Meat Alternatives - What do you suggest for delicious options?
- Diarrhea Causes - Is going vegan the cause?
- Gluten Sensitivities - Can I get enough protein?
- Vegan Weight Loss and Weight Gain - Why does he lose and I gain?
- Am I too old to go vegetarian? - I'm 47
- Vegan diet for weight loss - Help!
- Prostate help - Will a plant based diet help me?
- Omega 3 supplements and flaxseed while pregnant - What do you recommend?
- Multiple food allergies - How can I ensure proper nutrition?
- Pimples since going vegan - Is this normal?
- Low iron levels - What can I do?
- Eat five fruits and vegetables daily - What does this mean?
- I'm pregnant with many allergies (soy, beans, tree nuts) so how should I get my protein?
- Vegan Nutritional Advisor - Can I become licensed without studying a "regular" nutrition program?
- Is stevia a safe sweetener?
- Dietary supplements for a 12 year old
- Loose stools - is it normal for a vegetarian baby?
- Is it ok to switch over to a vegan diet during pregnancy?
- Substitute dairy products - what non-soy options are there?
- Keeping weight loss and insulin resistance in check
- Lack of breastfeeding - can my baby be veg*n?
- Rice and soy milk for toddlers
- Nursing a child with nut allergies - can I eat sunflower seeds and beans?
- What amount of cholesterol is in plant foods and is it a concern?
- High calcium intake - does it prevent the absorption of iron?
- Six year old challenging vegan lifestyle
- Food plan for a new vegan - any suggestions?
- Joint pain - am I missing something in my diet?
- Vegan nutrition education
- Baby eczema - can flaxseed cure it?
- Mental health complications on a vegan diet
- Are meat analogues an appropriate substitute for meat-based baby food?
- Raising my new baby vegan - do you have any advice to help me get prepared?
- Will the vitamins of blended fruit mixed with water degrade during the course of the day?
- What should I feed my infant when she weans from breastmilk?
- What's a good vegan multivitamin for toddlers/preschoolers?
- How can I increase my daughter's low iron levels?
- How should I discuss vegan food options with my high school principal?
- How do I know if my vegan daughter's daily diet is enough for her nutritionally?
- What is your opinion of isolated soy protein?
- Do we have reason to worry about raising our babies and children vegan?
- Do you know of any diet programs for vegans, such as Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, etc.?
- Since becoming vegan my hair has become dry and straw-like. What am I lacking in my diet?
- I heard a report that flax seed must be cooked before blending to eat with drinks or food. Is this true?
- What can I do to give my child who has diabetes a balanced vegan diet?
- How can I make my diet bone health as a woman with a family history of osteoporosis?
- Which vegetables are rich in B12?
- What can I do to stimulate weight loss? I have reached a plateau!
- Does soy contribute to thyroid problems?
- Is the iron in chocolate absorbed by the body?
- Is it true that you lose more calories than you gain when you eat celery?
- Is there a "quick fix" for excess sodium consumption?
- Help me get rid of my gas!
- What is the most fattening fruit?
- When I went vegan I developed adult acne. How can I get rid of it without going back to a SAD?
- What are some healthy, natural substitutes for sugar?
- I read that the protein in plant foods is "incomplete." Does this mean it's useless?
- Are the claims that dairy helps with weight loss really true?
- What can I eat to increase my energy?
- Is fortified soymilk a suitable alternative to breastmilk for a 1-year-old vegan baby?
- What type of formula do you recommend for our adopted baby?
- Can I get all my amino acids from vegan foods?
- Are probiotics helpful in outgrowing food allergies?
- Does my breastfed vegan baby need a vitamin D supplement?
- Is flax oil safe for my 9 year old?
- Is it best to grind sesame seeds before you eat them?
- Could you make me a sample menu for a vegan diet for an infant just starting solids?
- Is pregelatinized starch safe for vegetarians?
- Are most vegetables more nutritious raw or cooked?
- Is vegan eating good for diabetics?
- Does a breastfed baby whose mom is vegan need B12 supplements?
- I am a pregnant vegan, allergic to soy. What are some good protein sources other than beans?
- Do whole grains when spouted still contain gluten?
- Is it true that your body becomes unable to digest meat if uneaten for a long enough period?
- Does my toddler need dairy to get her amino acids?
- Is wheatgrass juice safe during pregnancy?
- What are some good, eat-on-the-run, nutritious snacks?
- Are coconut milk and coconut oil healthy, and when can I introduce them to my baby?
- Don't we need meat for optimal intelligence?
- I'm always so tired, even though Iím a vegan. Why is this, and what can I do?
- What will happen to me if I go vegan overnight?
- What supplements do I need for a healthy vegan pregnancy?
- When is it appropriate to introduce nut products to my infant?
- How can I be sure my child is getting enough calcium?
- What's the healthiest type of sugar?
- What can I use in place of eggs in recipes?
- Will a vegan diet stop or change menstruation?
- I'm pregnant and gaining too much weight too early. Help!
- The pediatrician says I need to give my baby egg yolks for proper brain development. Is this true?
- Is the vegan diet safe for people with Crohn's disease?
- Can I get all the vitamin D I need from sunlight alone?
- What's the best way for a toddler to transition to a vegan diet?
- How quickly should I expect my cholesterol to decrease as a result of significant dietary changes and increased exercise?
- I gained weight when I went vegan. Is this common?
- What are some good meat alternatives for a new vegan teen?
- When can my son start eating nutritional yeast? And will it increase the risk of a yeast imbalance?
- How do I make healthy vegetarian baby food?
- What are the best books on vegan nutrition for infants?
- Do algae, spirulina, and fungi like mushrooms provide B12?
- Can vegetarians have healthy teeth and gums?
- Can I bake with flax seed?
- Can what I eat during pregnancy affect risk of allergies in my baby?
- What are the dietary recommendations for vegan women planning to become pregnant?
- What are some protein-rich vegan snacks that all kids will enjoy?
- What are some good sources of essential fats for infants and children?
- Is it really possible to get enough protein on a purely vegan diet?
- My child refuses to eat all vegetables. Help!
- What's worse for you: salty snacks, or chocolate?
- What are the best supplements for kids of different ages?
- How can I find out the nutrition content of the foods I eat?
- How can I use nutritional yeast?
- My son is highly allergic to several things. I'm wondering if he can be vegetarian.
- Are there any health or safety concerns with my 4 year old son eating fish after being a life long vegan?
- I am a pregnant vegan just diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 33 weeks. What can I do to control it and have a healthy baby?
- Any suggestions on losing weight after having a baby?
- I need to gain a little weight. What should I do?
- My boyfriend says that oils are high in cholesterol. Is this true?
- What is the best way to ensure I am giving my daughter enough iron in her diet?
- Are there vegan sources of B12 other than supplements and Nutritional Yeast?
- How does a diet high in fiber help protect/fight against disease, such as cancer??
- I am having a hard time determining what to feed my 9 month old since he might have allergies. Can you help?
- Any advice for switching to a vegan diet due to food allergies?
- Is using ground flax seed as good as using the oil?
- How do I ensure my 1 year old is getting proper calories and the right types of fluids?
- Does B12 come in liquid drops for infants? Where can I find them?