This may not be totally authentic but it is easy and it tastes great. Try it with your favorite enchilada dish.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat oil in medium pan over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is golden brown.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
Recipe adapted from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook copyright © 2005.