Hungry Hottie Dogs
There has to be a way we could give kids their favorite foods in a way that nourishes their tiny bodies. Take, for instance, hot dogs. What about instead of a wiener we use a carrot?! But not just a raw carrot, a delicious, savory, hot dog- flavored carrot! Check it out.
- 4 carrots, cut to bun length
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 c water
- 2 tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (optional)
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, reduce to medium heat and add carrots. Meanwhile, combine the other ingredients (except the lettuce) to make a marinade. Cook carrots until you can just pierce them with a fork. Place carrots in a colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process. Combine carrots and marinade in a bowl with a lid or a ziplock bag to marinate at least 1 hour and preferably 3 - 5 hours. You can even leave these marinating in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place carrots on a baking sheet and bake for 10 - 15 minutes. Serve in a lettuce wrap or by itself with your favorite toppings!
By Cynthia Pasquella, Author of The PINK Method Diet and The Hungry Hottie Cookbook
Honey or a couple drops of liquid stevia can be used in place of maple syrup while apple cider vinegar can be used in place of rice vinegar. If you dont have garlic powder on hand, you can use half a clove of minced garlic instead. Finally, you can use collard greens or a gluten- free bun instead of lettuce.