Kung Pao Tofu
A great way to enjoy chinese with your vegan family without the chicken part. Its simple and easy, has a great sauce included and taste just lie chinese take out!
- 15 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup broccoli florets, steamed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoons ginger root, chopped fine
- 1/4 lb. peanuts
- 4 green onions, chopped 1 inch long
- Hot, cooked rice
- Marinate tofu with 1 tablespoon each rice wine, cornstarch, and soy sauce.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining rice wine, cornstarch and soy sauce with sugar, sesame oil and vinegar for the sauce.
- Cook tofu in oil until crisp. Then remove from heat.
- In another pan, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Add ginger and peanuts; cook for about 1 minute. Then add green onions. Cook for another minute. Add the tofu and steamed broccoli, and toss. Add sauce; cook and toss again. Serve with rice.
The sauce for this recipe is not "saucy" as some would describe, but it is an authentic Asian recipe. I also sometimes add sesame seeds and that is also wonderful.