These substantial patties offer a full bodied flavor and wonderful protein content courtesy of lentils and pistachios. The trio of avocado, olive oil, and pistachios together add richness and a healthy serving of monounsaturated fat.
- 1/2 cup shelled natural pistachios
- 1 medium carrot, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2-1/4 cups cooked green lentils (about 1 cup dry)
- 2 small ripe Hass avocados, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup whole rolled oats (not instant)
- In the bowl of a food processor, whir the pistachios until coarsely chopped. Add the carrot, onion, garlic, and lentils, and process until you have a fairly smooth puree. Add the remaining ingredients except for oats and process to combine well.
- Turn the mixture into a bowl and stir in the oats. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick frypan over medium heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the mixture per patty into the pan and flatten slightly. Cook about 4 minutes per side, until deep golden brown. Gently remove to a platter or place in hamburger buns with desired toppings. (Suggestions: lettuce, tomato and hummus; sliced red onion, ketchup and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast; or lettuce, chutney and mustard). Makes about a dozen patties.
Ricki Heller, PhD, RHN, is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and freelance writer who owns and operates Ricki's Kitchen Cooking Classes and Bake It Healthy, devoted to producing delicious baked treats free of wheat, dairy, eggs, or refined sweeteners. She lives in Toronto, Canada with her husband and lab-border collie cross. Visit her on the web at www.rickiskitchen.com.