Vegan News in the Media
VegFamily presents news, activism alerts and media of interest to vegan families.
- Farm Sanctuary Emphasizes Benefits of Plant-Based Diets to Dietary Guidelines Committee - Nation’s Leading Farm Animal Protection Organization Applauds Committee for Suggesting a Shift to Plant-Based Consumption, but Recommends Specific Suggestions Are Needed to Facilitate Shift
- Innovative Summer Camp for Young Activists and Change Makers - Is your son a vigilant recycler? Your daughter a passionate vegetarian?
Your niece an idealist who wants to change the world? What are they doing
this summer? What mentor or peer support do they have to take action for
the things they care about?
- Ginnifer Goodwin Urges Public to Adopt-A-Turkey This Thanksgiving - Nation's Leading Farm Animal Protection Organization Announces "Big Love" Star Ginnifer Goodwin as 2009 Adopt-A-Turkey Project Spokesperson
- Sexiest Vegetarians over 50 - After more than 4,800 votes were tallied, 51-year-old Framingham resident Julian Winter and 70 year old Mimi Kiri are the winners of PETA's Sexiest Vegetarian Over 50 contest.
- Veg License Plates in VA - Virginia hopes to become first state with speciel license plate for vegetarians and vegans.
- Animal Advocate Jennifer Fearing - The Monday, April 20 Los Angeles Times had a delightful article on its front page headed, "It's her job to raise a squawk; A hero to chickens after Prop.
- Massive Wolf Slaughter Launched in Alaska - Stop Palin's Brutal Policies - Last week, Palin's henchmen killed 66 wolves, using helicopters, spotter planes and aerial gunners.
- I Can't Believe I'm Still Vegan - More than halfway through my sixth decade, I have learned to live with the routine insults and occasional horrors of passing time.
- Time to "Flax" your Baking Muscles - Never tried baking with flax? Well it's time you did!
- Supporting a Sustainable Future - Throughout the world, people are realizing that we must dramatically shift the way that we are living to create a sustainable future.
- Dog News on Obama and Dog Fighting Ring - There have been two big dog stories in the news over the past week. The first, we have all heard about: the Obama family's search for a dog. I will share some interesting news from the Los Angeles Times, a lovely piece about mutts from the Philadelphia Inquirer, and terrific coverage on the new CNN Headline News show, "Issues, with Jane Velez-Mitchell."
- Organic Food Stores: Survey Shows Shoppers Won't Compromise on Food Quality Despite Economic Times - Nearly 80 Percent Say They Don't Want to Trade Quality for Price; Two in Three Prefer Natural and Organic over Conventional if Price is Comparable.
- Free Vegan Shoes - Vegetarian Shoes and Bags, a California online boutique featuring 100% cruelty-free footwear and accessories, has announced a sweepstakes today featuring free shoes for a year.
- Make Back to School the Greenest Time of the Year - Just in time for back to school season, Earth Day Network has come out with a list of suggestions for students, teachers, and parents to green their schools.
- Protect the Planet and Animals on "Tofurky Tuesdays" - A fun way to reduce our impact on global warming, while enjoying delicious humane foods.
- Don't Buy the Myth - Is the public being misled? Labels such as "Certified Humane," "Cage-free," "Free-range," and "Organic" make it seem that those who are willing to pay a higher price can enjoy meat, dairy products, and eggs from small-scale farms that treat animals with respect.
- Food Crisis Solution: Go Vegan - The National Public Radio show "Marketplace", Tuesday, June 17, includes a commentary headed, "Food crisis solution: Go vegan.
- Vegan Diet On CNN - The consumption of animals causes more harm to the environment than all the forms of transportation put together since we talk about the environment.
- A New Green: Midori Vegan Hair Salon - Midori which means green in Japanese, opened seven months ago and is one of the few salons to offer customers and alternative to the traditional beauty treatments.
- Extraordinary ABC Report on Egg Farm Horrors - "I urge anybody who doesn't quite understand why animal advocates don't eat eggs to take a look."
- PenPoints - Creating a Just World One Decision at a Time
- PenPoints - Planting Seeds
- Environmental/Vegetarian Day Camp - Teaching children about local and global community through environmental activism
- Famous Vegans and Vegetarians - Veggie Baseball Star on NY Times Sports Front Page
- Organic Conference: Organic Summit 2008 - Nanotechnology in food systems, domestic fair trade and food security to be discussed
- PenPoints: Spring Cleaning
- Vegan Friendly Summer Camp for Kids! - Serving food that is vegan, gluten-free, and peanut-free.
- New Technology Produces Green Glucosamine - 100% Vegetable Source
- PenPoints: Penelope points out the Farm Sanctuary's efforts to raise the consciousness of the American Veterinary Medical Association, bringing healthy food to our children's schools, Beyond Pesticides, vegan supplements, and Herbs for Pets.
- Largest Ever Meat Recall - Makes news everywhere
- PenPoints: Penelope points us to vaccination issues, cloned foods, more on almonds, bath and body products, and Cafe Gratitude.
- Book Signing - Award Winning Young Author Hosts Vegan Cookbook Signing with Dessert Samples
- Animal News Year End Round-up -- 2007 - DawnWatch offers up its yearly report of happenings and events of 2007 that affected animals and their rights.
- Christmas Without Cruelty - Vegan Awards in World Vegan Month Finale
- Feminine Hygiene - making responsible choices
- PenPoints: Penelope points out the Cornucopia Institute, Biotechnology Activism, and The Farm Sanctuary
- Natural Products Expo: Solar Living Institute's Solfest, Help The Farm bill, and Boycott Nestle.
- PenPoints: Penelope points out the Solar Living Institute's Solfest, Help The Farm bill, and Boycott Nestle.
- Vegetarian Resource Group College Scholarships: Open to students who have promoted vegetarianism in their schools and/or communities.
- PenPoints: Penelope points out the need to create positive change, decrease pesticide use, going local.
- PenPoints: Penelope points out supporting organic food, natural healing, simplify life
- NY Times and Chicago Tribune recommend veggie diets for planet and health
- PenPoints: Penelope points out the isue of pasteurizing almonds, mercury in vaccines, Ten Thousand Villages, and a 100% recycled paper publisher.
- NY Times reprimanded by its public editor for "Death By Veganism" piece.
- PenPoints: In this column Penelope points us to more pesticide and toxic ingredients issues, pending bills on healthy local food production, deaths linked to the new HPV vaccine, and a great company blazing a green path that deserves a thank you.
- Responding to "Death by Veganism": Dr. John McDougall shares his letter to the New York Times, in which he responds to the irresponsible and scientifically inaccurate opinion piece by Nina Plank that blames veganism as the cause of an infant's death.
- PenPoints: Penelope points out FDA cloned and irridiated foods issues, labeling, flowers going organic...
- The PB&J Campaign to Change the World: A simple sandwich can make all the difference.
- Golden Carrot Awards: Nominate someone special who has dedicated themselves to providing fresh fruit and vegetable programs for children.
- Go For the Green and Make a Difference!: Each time you buy a Silk Soy Milk container with a green cap you have a chance to make a positive impact on our earth.
- Tofu Haiku: Grab a pen and get to writing your haiku entry for this fab contest
- Vegan Chic: There is lots of good news on the vegan fashion front