PenPoints June 15, 2007
Hello Friends. Progress is all around us. And fortunately for us, there are ways that our united voices can keep this momentum going forward.
If possible, take the time to read these brief messages. They are important. Daily, Congress makes decisions that affect our every day life. Without our input, who knows what the results will be. For instance did you know that as it stands all almonds, including organic almonds, must be pasteurized as of next harvest? The clincher is that one of the ingredients used to pasteurize the almonds is a toxic substance—and the almonds may not even be labeled any differently than before. To make this decision, the USDA had a public comment period, yet fewer than five people responded. Now, we have the opportunity to share our opinion. Remember, for many legislators the voters opinion does matter! So please read these and get the word out. Let's come together for greater awareness!
Article continues below
- Two hundred scientists recently declared that developing fetuses and small children can suffer long term health risks if exposed to pesticides and synthetic chemicals. Going a step further, the researchers suggested that the public not wait for more conclusive evidence of danger but instead take precautionary steps now. For the full story see:
Consider contacting your city council, state representatives and congress, asking them to ban pesticide spraying in public businesses, especially schools, and for longer and more complete safety testing of existing and newly created chemicals. If you really feel motivated, get petitions going for your local schools to follow suit.
- According to Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA), two bills that focus on funding healthy, local food production and contribute to the bigger Farm Bill were introduced in the House and Senate last week: the Local Food and Farm Support Act, H.R. 2364, introduced by Representative Blumenauer (D-OR, 3rd), and FOOD for a Healthy America Act, S. 1432, introduced by Senators Brown (D-OH) and Clinton (D-NY). Let's get the government to support healthy food for our communities! Consider calling in your support.
- States nationwide are considering mandating the HPV vaccine or Human papillomavirus vaccine. Human papillomavirus is the name given to a sexually transmitted disease that some sources claim cause the majority of cervical cancer. It is estimated that 233,000 women die yearly from this disease. With these statistics in mind, the vaccine sounds like a wonderful thing. Yet there is a catch. First off, the vaccine has its own deadly side affects. At least three young women to date have died after receiving this vaccine. Keep in mind this is a newly marketed product. There have also been a number of spontaneous abortions in women that were pregnant that received the vaccine.
Secondly, because mainstream cancer treatment is not holistically oriented, almost all cancer statistics are grim. On the other hand alternative methods such as the Hoxsey Treatment, the Gerson Therapy and programs such as Dr. Richard Schulze have much more successful turnouts, including complete reversal of illnesses such as cervical cancer. In conventional treatment, a cure can be considered 'remaining living five years after diagnosis.'
Lastly, even if the HPV vaccine was fault-free and did not have serious side effects, it would not stop the actions that can lead to increased risk for cervical cancer. For instance, multiple sexual partners, especially before twenty years of age, smoking, family history, and having an impaired immune system all can increase one's chance of developing cancer. Add to these the situations that increase cancer risk in general such as an acidic bodily environment, stress, eating a poor diet, exposure to chemicals, etc. What we need instead of a vaccine is greater education regarding what causes cancer and specifically cancer of the cervix. Consider calling your legislature and banning a mandate on the HPV Vaccine. Let's get to the root of the cause and support education and practices that support health. For more information check out http://www.judicialwatch.org/6299.shtml
And the good news...
- Pangea Organics is a premier green business, offering a varied selection of body care products while all the while creating conscious business choices. Pangea's work facilities are 100% wind powered. Employees receive a living wage, full health coverage and when the company gardening is in production, a complementary organic lunch. Ingredients used in products are organic and often fair trade. Not skipping an eco-beat, the packaging is completely biodegradable and if planted will even sprout little plants! For more information and to give thanks check out http://www.pangeaorganics.com/home.html
- Connecticut residents should celebrate. In early May, House bill 5234 passed with a whopping 145-2 vote. This bill bans pesticide use in both private and public schools from grades K-8. Let Congress know that you support this decision.
- On May 15th, Claire Barnett, representing the Healthy School Network, gave a statement to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, discussing why our children need healthy schools. For more information please go to http://www.healthyschools.org/ and see how you can help make America's schools healthier.
DVD of the month: Hoxsey: How Healing Becomes a Crime by Kenneth Ausubel
A documentary that is a must see for all those affected by cancer, and those interested in health freedom. This film created by Bioneers founder Kenneth Ausubel, retraces the history of Harry Hoxsey, his cancer fighting program and his battle with the AMA and the U.S. government. Highly recommended. Click here to buy it now. Also available in book form:When Healing Becomes a Crime: The Amazing Story of the Hoxsey Cancer Clinics and the Return of Alternative Therapies by Kenneth Ausubel.