No Beans About It Burger
This delicious vegan burger is made with vegetables, no beans or lentils in the mix.
- 3/4 pound eggplant (1 small or 1/2 large)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 T flaxseed seed, ground
- 3/4 cup carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup zucchini, grated Pepper 2 tablespoons flour 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Peel and dice the eggplant, place in colander, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, toss, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant, place on baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil. Place onions and garlic on the other baking sheet, and put both sheets in the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, until eggplant is tender and onions/garlic are golden brown.
- Grind the oats in the blender, add bread crumbs or the stale bread broken into pieces, and blend until the mixture starts forming crumbs. Pour into large bowl.
- Drain the tomatoes and place in food processor along with eggplant, onions, and garlic. Blend until fairly smooth, then add to oat/bread crumbs and mix.
- Stir in sesame seeds, carrots, the other 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and some pepper. Chill for one hour.
- Dip your hands into flour, then form the mixture into 4 burgers. Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat, add the burgers, and fry about 3 minutes. Turn over and cook another 3 minutes.
- Makes four burgers.