Pasta with Vegetables and Pine Nuts
This is a lovely light dinner full of colorful vegetables that takes only about a half hour or less to make.
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot, sliced (1/4 inch)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 tablespoons minced fresh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- While pasta is cooking, place 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet with garlic, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, and kale. Stir gently and cover pan. Steam 10 to 15 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender. Add a little water if necessary to prevent vegetables from scorching.
- Drain pasta and place in large bowl. Add cooked vegetables, pine nuts, basil, 2 tablespoons olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Toss gently. Serve with grated vegan Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Makes 8 servings
You can use any combination of vegetables for this or even just two or three, as long as you use a total of 4 cups vegetables.
Recipes from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook copyright © 2005 by Cathe Olson.