Spring Minestrone with Brown Rice
"I find myself making this delicious soup from Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson every week when I get my box of vegetables from the local CSA. It's a great way to serve the thinner asparagus spears."
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup medium-grain brown basmati rice, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup sugar snap or snow peas, trimmed and cut in half diagonally
- 8 spears asparagus, trimmed and diagonally sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the shallots and garlic and sautÃ© for a couple of minutes until soft. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 1 minute, then add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer until the rice is just tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Add the sugar snap peas, asparagus, and green peas, and season with a few healthy pinches of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Simmer for another 2 or 3 minutes and serve immediately; this way the vegetables stay crisp and bright.