This delicious pie combines a tofu ricotta filling with spinach or silver beet. The result is a very tasty and highly nutritious dish. Serve with salad or vegetables.
- 2-3 sheets of puff pastry (Pampas is vegan)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
- 2 tablespoons oil for frying
- 1 bunch silverbeet (Swiss chard) or spinach, washed and chopped (or 250g pkg frozen spinach)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pepper to taste
- 375g block firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon soymilk for glazing
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Pre-thaw pastry sheets. Preheat oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- Fry onion and garlic in the 2 tablespoons oil until softened. Add silverbeet/spinach and sauté for 5 minutes. Add nutmeg and pepper; mix well and remove from heat.
- Put tofu, oil, stock powder, soy sauce, lemon juice, and salt in food processor (or use a masher), and blend until smooth. Add this mixture to the spinach mixture and combine.
- Grease a large 24 x 20 cm (8.5 x 11") baking dish and line with pastry, leaving some to overlap over edge. Place mixture in pastry case, flatten out evenly. Place rest of pastry on top of mixture, pinch and fold sides to enclose properly.
- Glaze top with soymilk. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top if desired. Bake 35-40 minutes until pastry is browned.