Vegan Toffee Marshmallows
Silky smooth, pillow soft, creamy toffee marshmallows. Easy recipe with easy preparations. Kids and adults will love these!
- 4 teaspoons agar agar powder
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup Sucanat sugar
- 1 cup rice syrup
- 1/2 cup tea caramel flavoured back tea
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cornstarch for dusting
- Mix the sugar, rice syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan. Stir it over low heat until the sugar is dissolved and a syrup has formed.
- Cook until firmball stage (244 degrees Fahrenheit about 120 C. on a candy thermometer.)
- At the same time, mix tea and agar agar in a saucepan until boiling.
- Remove pans from heat, and slowly and carefully pour the agar agar/tea mixture in the syrup mixture. Pour in an electric whisk and beat the mixture at high speed until thick, whiter, and tripled in size, approximately 15 minutes (If you stop before this time, you will have marshmallow creme which you can store in a jar and use like the commercial stuff).
- Dust an 8" x 12" (20 cm x 30 cm) glass baking pan with cornstarch. Pour mixture into pan, and dust the top with more cornstarch. Wet your hands and pat the mixture to smooth out the top. Dust again.
- Let stand overnight to dry out, uncovered. Next morning turn the "marshmallow cake" out onto a board, and cut into small pieces with a dry, HOT knife. Dust again. Makes about 45 marshmallows.
By Virginie Péan
Virginie is the author of Absolutely Green Recipes, a French language blog. She shares a few of her recipes in English for her English-speaking friends and readers.