Vegetable Pot Stickers
Why wait for a trip to your favorite Asian restaurant to have Vegetable Pot Stickers? Make them yourself at home. Vegetarian dumplings filled with green goodness. They are steamed or fried off, which gives these potstickers a wonderfully golden crust.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup white cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup chopped sprouts or chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- oil for frying (optional)
- :Pot Sticker Dough
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Sauté onions and ginger in sesame oil. Stir in the mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, and sprouts or chives (use half of each if desired). Add salt and pepper to taste.Cover and let cook until tender, adding a bit of water if necessary to pan steam the vegetables. When vegetables are done, place them in a colander to drain of the liquid. Add cilantro when mixture is cooled. Check salt and pepper and add more if necessary. Add additional sesame oil if desired.
- In a bowl, combine flour and water. Mix to form a ball then knead on a floured surface until dough is smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough again briefly and then pinch off equal sized balls, about 2 dozen total but you may make them any size you prefer - larger for larger pot stickers.
- Begin with a ball of dough and roll out to make a circle. Place a spoonful of filling into the center and then fold the circle over to make a half moon. Seal the edge well by pinching. Alternatively, you may place the filling in the middle and gather the edges of the circle together and then twist and pinch the twist to seal, making more of a round bag-like dumpling shape.
- Fry or Steam: You may pan fry these first or skip the frying and steam them. To fry, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Cover entire bottom of pan with the oil. Fry the pot stickers until golden brown, about 1 minute, turning to brown on all sides. Continue until all have been browned. With all pot stickers in the pan and over med low heat, add 1/4 cup of hot water to the pan and immediately cover to allow them to steam. Let the water evaporate so that the bottoms stick to the pan.
- Serve hot with sauces of your choice for dipping.