Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
This soup is so simple! We've made it for countless meat eaters, and they go gaga over it! We hope you find it equally enjoyable.
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups chicken-style veggie broth
- 2 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk (regular, not fat free)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- In medium saucepan, melt margarine. Saute onions in margarine until soft. Add flour and stir until mixed. Add broth and mix thoroughly. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- While broth mixture is simmering, heat (do NOT boil) soymilk in separate pan.
- Sauté mushroom ham until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients to soup mixture.
- Bring to boil and simmer for no less than 20 minutes, and up to 2 hours.
For an even quicker soup you can use one can of wild rice and one can of sliced mushrooms - less cooking time!