Applesauce Banana Muffins
These lowfat muffins are not only delicious but they are a healthy breakfast and snack. Makle a double batch and freeze for quick on-the-go lunchbox additions.
- 4 bananas
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup no-sugar-added applesauce (depending on size of bananas)
- 4 tablespoons blended silken tofu
- 2/3 cup safflower oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flax seed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray muffin tins (makes about 40-50 muffins) with cooking spray.
- Blend bananas, applesauce, tofu, and oil in blender or food processor.
- Mix together sugars, flours, oatmeal, powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and flax seed in a large bowl.
- Add the banana mixture all at once. Mix with 10-20 quick strokes until just together; there should still be medium lumps in the batter.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Mix 2 tablespoons brown sugar with 2 teaspoons cinnamon and sprinkle on top.
- Bake 10-13 minutes for mini muffins, 15-20 minutes for large muffins.
- Toothpick test, remove, cool, and eat!
You can also make a cake: For apple cake, peel, core, and dice 3 small or 2 large apples and add to batter with banana mixture, omitting oatmeal and adding ½ cup flour. Bake for 20 or so minutes until golden brown on top. Serve cake for dessert with soy ice cream or plain. Enjoy!