Baked Eggplant with Cashews
This layered eggplant casserole is bursting with flavor, and works well as a main dish and a side dish.
- 2 large eggplants
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, very finely chopped
- 1 Roma or plum tomato, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red Bell pepper very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground oregano
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron or paprika
- 5 Spanish pimento-stuffed olives, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- salt to taste
- Slice one of the eggplants and use it to cover completely the bottom of an oiled baking dish. Sprinkle it with salt.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle a little of the bread crumb mixture over the eggplant in the baking dish.
- For the filling, put all the vegetables in a medium-sized bowl and mix with all the seasonings, plus the olives and some of the bread crumbs, reserving about 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs to use them later. Spread this mixture on top of the sliced eggplant.
- Slice the other eggplant and use to cover the filling.
- Blend the cashews and soy milk together in a blender. Add salt to taste. Pour over the top layer of eggplant then sprinkle remaining bread crumb mixture over top.