Cauliflower Salad with Capers and Olives
This colorful salad makes a great springtime dish to serve for lunch or as a first course for a fancy dinner. It also includes tips on what vinaigrette to use for this great flavorful salad.
- 1 small-medium cauliflower
- 2 cups of watercress or arugala or radicchio
- 2 scallions, including one inch of greens, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced celery heart with leaves
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 cucumber, peeled seeded and chopped
- 12 olives, with pimento, halved
- 1 T capers
- 1/2 cup parsley
- Slice off thin slices of cauliflower, working around the head.
- Quarter then thinly slice. Remove large stems from watercress and chop the rest.
- Prepare the vinaigrette (see next recipe). Toss with veggies, greens, olives, capers, and parsley.
- Keep the dressing on the tart side, a little more vinegar than oil.
- Prepare vinaigrette -any classic vinaigrette recipe will do. We recommend white wine vinegar, or white balsamic. Red vinegars will discolor the cauliflower.
- We would also recommend some Dijon mustard (2 tsps is fine) to the vinaigrette.
- You could also use a classic one part vinegar to three part oil recipe. Please use a fruit vinegar for the vinegar part. We love Trader Joe's raspberry vinegar.
- You could also add (blend or whisk) a fresh raspberry or two, a squeeze of lemon, some sea salt and voila!