Mixed Vegetable Stew with Coconut
This recipe can be endlessly adapted to whatever is fresh and overflowing from your garden, or whatever inspires you at the produce stand. An entire vegetarian meal, loaded with raw fresh vegetable goodness, textured and colorful, brimming with coconut flavor.
- 2 cups grated fresh coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 green chili pepper (green pepper or paprika can be substituted)
- 2 cups vegetables, peeled and diced (carrots, potato, turnip, etc.)
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced and deseeded
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (optional)
- Grind coconut, cumin, ginger, and chili in a food processor to make a smooth paste. Cook the vegetables with peas, tomatoes, and bay leaf in a heavy-bottomed wok until tender (vegetables do not need cooking water as the tomatoes have enough water content). Add salt and the ground coconut paste and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Fry chopped onion in 1 teaspoon of oil until golden and add to the stew (optional). Salt to taste and serve with unleavened flat bread (Indian roti or Middle Eastern khubbus)