Steamed Chinese Buns
If you love steamed buns these will fulfill your bun needs. Its really soft and fluffy with the best coconut cream filling. try it out!
- 30g Cake yeast (don't use powdered, flake etc)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1.4 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten (if you have weak flour)
- 8 ounces sugar
- 8 ounces desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Mix yeast and sugar together until runny. In a separate bowl, mix together oil, lemon juice and water. In a third bowl, mix together flour, salt, sugar and gluten.
- Add water mix to yeast mix then add to dry ingredients. Mix well, adding extra water if required. Knead until smooth and elastic. Leave for approx 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch down and leave to rise again until doubled in bulk.
- Turn onto floured board, cut into 24 pieces, and flatten each piece into a 3-inch circle.
- Mix together filling: sugar, coconut and coconut cream. Place 1 teaspoon of filling in middle of each dough circle and pull edges together to seal. Shape into balls and place on baking or rice paper on a greased dinner plate. Leave for 20 minutes.
- To cook, steam for 20 minutes in steamer or equivalent.