Pinecone Bird Feeder
This project is for the birds! Literally. Make a tasty treat for our fine feathered friends.
- A pinecone
- Some string, yarn or ribbon
- A spoon or spatula
- Peanut butter
- A plate
1. Tie the string around one of the bottom rows of the pinecone.
2. Make a loop in the string for hanging the feeder in a tree when it’s finished.
3. Spread the peanut butter on the pinecone with the spoon or spatula just like it was frosting.
4. Pour some birdseed onto the plate.
5. Roll the peanut butter pinecone in the birdseed. It’s finished!
6. Hang the feeder in a tree. When all the seed has been eaten off, refill it by spreading more peanut butter on the pinecone and rolling it in birdseed again.
- Watch the birds and see how they interact.
- Try to identify all the different kinds of birds that come to the feeder.
- Check the feeder at regular intervals (once every hour, once every day) and count how many birds are at the feeder. Then make a chart with the numbers to see the feeding patterns of the birds.
- Make feeders with different kinds of seeds and see which ones the birds like best.