Vegan Lunch Ideas
Q I would like some ideas for portable vegan lunches. I seem to be getting bored and eating the same things for lunch daily. Any new ideas would sure be appreciated. I carry my lunch in a little igloo with an ice pack.
A We are creatures of habit and people tend to eat the same things over and over. Since I don’t know what you are stuck on eating, I can make the following general suggestions: Sandwiches on good quality bread. Find stone ground whole wheat breads or grain breads. If wheat is a concern for you, there are many wheat free breads on the market.
Here are some ideas to help you plan more interesting lunches for on the go eating.
- A variety of spreads, store bought or homemade: humus, tahini-miso spread, tofu cottage cheese, tahini-onion spread. Tempeh or tofu cheeses.
- Make your own homemade tofu spread (cheese) or buy the vegan cheese at your natural foods market.
- Left over grain dishes served room temperature or cold. Add finely chopped vegetables such as carrot, celery and scallion for crunch.
- Vegetables – Fresh vegetables, cleaned and cut. Vegetables steamed, roasted or baked. These can be dipped in the above spreads.
- Steamed greens are a great easy quick addition to a meal.
- Boiled soybeans, the new rave! edamame.
You must be commended for carrying your own lunch. And since you carry your lunch, I assume you are into preparing the foods you eat. I recommended you read a few cookbooks to learn how you can utilize left over foods to create an interesting lunch as well learn a few new recipes. Also, it doesn’t hurt to buy store bought products at your local natural foods store or deli counter to give you a quick start on putting together a more varied lunchtime special.