Vegan Makeup Brushes – Where Are They?
by Suzann Kale
It’s so easy to overlook. We see a pretty set of makeup brushes at a great price—maybe at the pharmacy or the superstore – and we buy them. But as animal lovers, we must be more careful. Most of these brushes, though inexpensive monetarily, extract a much greater price in terms of creature suffering. We need to be as vigilant about our makeup brush purchases as we are about our cosmetics.
What Not to Buy
When you purchase brushes that have no specific labeling to the contrary, chances are the brushes are made at least partly from animal fur. So rule number one is: Unless they are from a manufacturer you trust, don’t buy makeup brushes that aren’t labeled as cruelty-free, vegan, or 100% synthetic.
Where to Buy Vegan Brushes
Following is a list of companies that carry vegan cosmetic brushes. These are manufacturers and retailers you can trust. Find them on the web (put them into your search engine to get their website addresses), or at specialty stores like Sephora and Ulta.
- All Natural Cosmetics – some brushes are vegan, so check the brush descriptions before buying (click Make-up from the left menu, then click Brushes)
- Blick Art Materials (look for Taklon brushes)
- The Body Shop (write Makeup Brushes into their search box)
- Branded J Collections
- Ecco Bella Brushes (go to Natural Nirvana, click on Vegan Cosmetics in the left column) [Editor’s Note: Ecco Bella has discountinued these brushes]
- Etsy (enter vegan makeup brushes into the search field)
- Forever Female has a vegan Kabuki brush, and a vegan lip brush
- Hard Candy Cosmetics (at their site, click on Vegan Items from the horizontal top menu)
- Herbs of Grace (click on Brushes & Accessories on the left menu)
- Larénim Mineral Makeup has a Vegan Kabuki brush (click on Brushes from the left menu)
- Makeup Junky (click on Makeup Brushes from the front menu)
- (Monavé Makeup is working on it and plan to have vegan brushes out soon)
- Origins Natural Resources
- Sevi Vegan Cosmetics
- Urban Decay Cosmetics: Good Karma Cruelty-Free Brushes
- The Vegan Store [Editor’s Note: At the time of publication opf this article, The Vegan Store carries a shaving brush only.]
- Vegan Unlimited
We’re fortunate to be living in an age where these products are available. Looking gorgeous without harming little critters is a blessing indeed.