Annie’s Wild Rice Soup
"This soup is SOO simple! I got the recipe from a friend. Her recipe called for half and half, and regular ham, and butter. I've made this soup for countless meat eaters, and they go gaga over it! I hope you find it equally enjoyable. "
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups chicken-style veggie broth
- 2 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk (regular, not fat free)
- 1 pkg. veggie ham (optional)
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- In medium saucepan, melt margarine. Sauté onions in margarine until soft. Add flour and stir until mixed. Add broth and mix thoroughly. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- While broth mixture is simmering, heat (do NOT boil) soy milk in separate pan. Also, sauté veggie ham (if you are using it) in a fry pan until browned. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Add remaining ingredients to soup mixture. Bring to boil and simmer for no less than 20 minutes, and up to 2 hours.