Best Baked Apples
This is an absolutely classic dessert – it's so simple, and a great way to use up cooking apples. Especially perfect for a winter day. Kids and adults alike love this!
- 4 medium apples, washed and cored (Gala, Fuji, Rome, or Braeburn apples work the best in this recipe!)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup currants or raisins
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 tablespoon mulling spice
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coarsely chop walnuts with cinnamon in a food processor.
- Combine nut mixture with dried fruit in a small bowl. Fill each apple with the fruit and nut mixture until overflowing. Place apples in a baking dish just big enough to hold the fruit and juice.
- Mix the apple juice, maple syrup, and cinnamon stick or mulling spices in a small bowl. Pour over fruit, thoroughly covering each apple. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake 45-50 minutes in the oven or until apples are tender. Continue to baste the apples with the juice mixture during the baking time.
Serve warm. These taste great with a dollop of vanilla frozen non-dairy dessert on top!