Cannellini Bean Soup with Pan Fried Croutons
Crispy fried croutons pair perfectly with soft beans and tender kale, while little grape tomatoes give bursts of sweetness. This is definitely one of my all-time favorite soups, and you can prepare the croutons for any recipe you like.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 to 3 kale leaves, torn
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 grape tomatoes, halved
- Fresh lemon juice, for seasoning
- :Pan-Fried Croutons:
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- Melt the Earth Balance in a skillet and add the bread cubes. Let the bread cook, absorbing the margarine, until golden brown. Toss and brown all sides of the bread and then remove it from the pan when it's rich brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot. Add the shallots and sauté until tender and lightly colored. Pour in the vegetable stock and heat until simmering. Add the kale and salt and cook, covered, until the kale is tender but still dark green. When ready to serve, turn off the heat and add the tomatoes. Let them sit in the hot soup for 1 to 3 minutes to cook slightly before serving. Check the seasoning and adjust, if desired. Add the pan-fried croutons at the last moment, with a small squeeze of lemon juice, if desired.
Recipe from Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Every Day By Lauren Ulm, republished with permission.