Carrot Pineapple Sunshine Muffins
Bring some pineapple and carrot sunshine to your morning with these wonderfully tender muffins. They are great with your morning cuppa and nutritious enough for a quick breakfast or a healthy snack.
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt (or any flavour)
- 1/2 plain or vanilla soy milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, well drained (use canned only; reserve juice)
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice, reserved from crushed canned pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 heaping teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour, or a combination of both
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease a non-stick 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy yogurt, soy milk, and ground flaxseed.
- Whisk in the canola oil and maple syrup.
- Squeeze the crushed pineapple to remove as much excess juice as possible and add to the bowl, along with the reserved pineapple juice, carrot orange zest, and raisins, and thoroughly mix.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir only just enough to moisten the dry ingredients.
- Spoon dough lightly into a muffin pan, filling each to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes then remove from muffin pan onto a rack to cool.
This is a heavy dough so the muffins will not rise much so be sure to fill each to the top or even more if you want a larger muffin.