Cauliflower Salad with Capers and Olives
This colorful salad makes a great dish to serve for lunch or as a first course for a fancy dinner.
- 1 small-medium cauliflower
- 2 cups of watercress or arugala or radicchio
- 2 scallions, including one inch of greens, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced celery heart with leaves
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 cucumber, peeled seeded and chopped
- 12 olives, with pimento, halved
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 cup parsley
- Slice off thin slices of cauliflower, working around the head. Quarter then thinly slice.
- Remove large stems from watercress and chop the rest.
- Prepare the vinaigrette.
- Toss with onions, veggies, greens, olives, capers, and parsley.
Vinaigrette: Keep the dressing on the tart side, a little more vinegar than oil. Prepare vinaigrette -any classic vinaigrette recipe will do. I recommend white wine vinegar, or white balsamic. Red vinegars will discolor the cauliflower. I would also recommend some Dijon mustard (2 tsps is fine) to the vinaigrette. I like to use a classic one part vinegar to three part oil recipe. Use a fruit vinegar for the vinegar part. I LOVE Trader Joe's raspberry vinegar. I also add (blend or whisk) a fresh raspberry or two, a squeeze of lemon, some sea salt and voila! YUMMY! - Tracy Mitchell Griggs