Cranberry-Sweet Potato Cookies
A sweet and nutritious cookie to complement your holiday meal. If you've never tried sweet potato cookies you are missing out!
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, brown rice syrup, or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup softened butter substitute (like Earth Balance) or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ener-G egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat, barley, or brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Beat together sweetener and butter substitute or coconut oil until smooth. Add vanilla, egg replacer, and pumpkin and beat well. In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir flour mixture into liquid ingredients. Fold in dried cranberries and nuts. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto un-oiled cookie sheets. Bake about 10 minutes, or until bottoms are golden. Cool on wire rack.
If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, use 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
Recipe adapted from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook copyright © 2005.