Great Lakes Wild Rice Chowder
A gourmet soup filled with nutritious vegetables and ingredients. Could warm you up in seconds!
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium rutabaga or 2 medium Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, scrubbed and diced into ½" cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper, Spike® Seasoning and finely chopped parsley for garnish
- Combine the onion, peppers, water, corn kernels, and rutabaga in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Add cooked wild rice.
- Gradually add soy milk or non-dairy "cream sauce" base, stirring until thick and bubbly. Add salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice and simmer over low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Top with fresh black pepper and finely chopped parsley. Accompany the chowder with a thick slice of baguette or crusty loaf, and a fresh mixed green salad. Delicious and very satisfying! Makes 8 servings.