Potato and Caramelized Onion Latke
Traditional for Hanukkah dinners, potato pancakes are easy and delicious.
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine plus more for greasing pan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, halved, sliced thinly
- 7 potatoes, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- Freshly ground pepper
- Melt margarine with oil in skillet over low heat. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until golden and carmelized, about 20 minutes, adding small amounts of water if necessary to keep them from drying. Remove to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add a bit more oil to the pan and it with a thin layer of potatoes. Place a middle layer of the carmelized onions and spread to within 1 inch of edge. Season with salt and pepper and repeat with remaining potatoes and onions. Press layers together.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place pan over medium heat and cook until potatoes are golden on bottom, about 5 minutes. Loosen the potato cake with a spatula and carefully slide it onto a large plate. Invert pan over plate, and holding the pan and plate together (use oven mitts), flip to place the cake into the pan.
- Cook in oven until the top is deep golden brown, 20 minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving. Serves 8.