Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
uinoa is a high protein grain, making it the perfect filling for a pepper entree dish.
- 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 4 large red or yellow bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce, for serving
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small pot. Rinse quinoa in a strainer and under cold running water until water runs clear.
- Drain well and stir the quinoa into the boiling water. Cover and simmer over low heat until the quinoa is tender, approximately 15 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes then fluff with a fork.
- Core and seed peppers. Microwave, bake or parboil the peppers until slightly softened. Set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion, mushrooms and garlic, and the crushed red pepper (if desired). Cook stirring occasionally, until tender and golden. Stir in the tomato paste, zucchini, tomatoes, oregano, and salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked quinoa and remove from the heat.
- Place the peppers in a medium roasting pan and spoon the filling into the peppers. Add 1/2 inch of water to the pan. Bake until the peppers are tender and the top of the filling is lightly browned and crunchy, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the marinara over low heat. When the peppers are cooked, place one on each of four plates. Spoon the sauce alongside or on top and serve.