Roasted Root Vegetables
This is an easy way to prepare root vegetables and a delicious side dish for dinner. Use any kind of root vegetables you like (white or sweet potatoes alone are delicious)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 white potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed or peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, scrubbed or peeled and thickly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs or 2 teaspoons dried (thyme, rosemary, tarragon, etc.)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place vegetables in large bowl and toss with remaining ingredients. Spread on large baking sheet to form a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 400ºF and roast an additional 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
You can peel the vegetables if you like but if they are organic and the skins look good, just give them a good scrub. Don't skimp on the oil. It gives the vegetables a crisp coating.