Shake and Bake Tofu
These crispy tofu cutlets are a favorite in our home. Enlist your kids to help with the breading and shaking. If you have more than four eaters, the recipe doubles easily, but be sure to use two baking sheets as well.
- 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free herb-and-spice seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Marinara sauce (warmed), ketchup, or salsa
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Blot well between clean tea-towels or several layers of paper towel and cut into 1/2-inch-wide sticks.
- Combine the wheat germ, seasoning mix, and salt in a plastic, food storage bag; seal and shake lightly to mix. Transfer the cutlets to the bag and shake gently until they are evenly coated with the wheat germ mixture.
- Arrange the cutlets on a lightly oiled nonstick baking sheet. Bake until golden and firm, about 12 to 15 minutes. Serve at once with marinara sauce or other sauce of your choice for dipping or topping.
- Makes 4 servings
Adapted from Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
Nava Atlas is the author and illustrator of many books on vegetarian cooking. The best known are Vegetariana, Vegetarian Soups for all Seasons, Vegetarian Express and Vegetarian Celebrations. For lots more child-friendly recipes, visit Nava's web site, "In a Vegetarian Kitchen" and go to Kid-Friendly Recipes. Look for her Vegetarian Family Cookbook (Broadway Books, NY) in early 2004.