This dish is nice with seasoned aduki beans and tahini gravy with brown rice and maybe a baked sweet potato. Yum!
- 2 bunches of your favorite greens (I use collards & kale)
- 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3-4 green onions chopped
- 1 med carrot, finely chopped, optional
- 1 cup water
- Couple sprigs of fresh thyme
- Fresh hot pepper of your choice, I use Habanero or scotch bonnet, CHOPPED FINE (The seeds are very hot! Discard if you need to.)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Wash greens thoroughly. Pull stems out and lay flat. Fold in half and cut down the middle, then chop finely width ways. This dish tastes best if the greens are chopped finely. Set aside.
- Preheat a large pan and add oil; then add green onions and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the carrots (if using) and sauté for another minute or two, stirring. Add greens and mix. Then add water, thyme, hot pepper and salt and pepper to taste, stir well.
- Cover and cook 5-7 minutes. Turn heat to low and cook 5-7 more minutes. Stir well.
- Remove from heat and keep lid on for at least ten more minutes to steam before serving.