Sweet Broccoli Slaw
This recipe is a light and delicious egg and dairy-free vegan version of the traditional broccoli slaw. We ioncorporate the stalk to show how easy and delicious it is and how it adds a nice visual appeal and crucnh to the slaw as well. Waste not, want not!
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 large head of broccoli with a good stalk
- 1/2 red onion (small to medium in size, depending on your love of onions), quartered and finely slliced
- 3/4 cup almonds, slivered or roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar or other sweetener
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour hot water over them. Let set for a few minutes and then drain well.
- Remove the florets from the stalk. Wash the broccoli and stalk well. Using a food processor with a grater disk in place, shred the broccoli. For the stalks you can either shred them using a box grater to get long strips or you can finely slice into match sticks with a good sharp knife.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded florets and stalk, raisins, finely sliced red onion, and almonds.
- In a separate bowl whisk the vegan mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together until smooth and creamy. Pour over the shredded broccoli ingredients and toss to make a lovely slaw. You may serve it right away or, better yet, allow it to chill for an hour or so in the refrigerator so the flavors can wed. Yumm!
You can substitute currants, dried cranberries or dates for the raisins. All are delicious!