Tostada Garden Burgers
This is a good recipe for people who have celiac disease. Its super delicious with ingredients you wouldn't think to put in a burger but comes out perfect.
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup ground corn tostadas, Los Pericos brand. These are similar to baked corn chips only larger and round. You can use baked corn chips but not Fritos brand (too salty).
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 6 small white mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- olive oil for sautéing
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered chili pepper
- 1 Tablespoon catsup or pizza sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- potato flakes
- Toast walnuts in a dry skillet for 5 minutes. Stir while browning.
- Grind walnuts with tostadas into crumbs. Pour into a large bowl.
- Chop onion, mushrooms, green pepper and sauté with oil in frying pan for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Pour onion, mushrooms, green pepper and cooked rice into blender. Blend leaving some large pieces. Pour into bowl with walnuts and tostada crumbs.
- Add garlic powder, powdered chili pepper, catsup or pizza sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Add potato flakes if mixture is too loose or mushy.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes. Make into burgers.
- Fry in oil on one side until a brown crust is formed and turn carefully to not disturb brown crust.