Vegan Baked Oatmeal with Fruit and Nuts
To make this a easy morning breakfast you can prepare this dish the night before, keeping the wet and dry ingredients separate. First thing in the morning mix them together and pop the dish in the oven to cook.
- 2 cups organic multi-grain oats
- 1/3 cup organic natural brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (i used a combo of raising, cranberries and dates)
- handful of chopped organic walnuts
- few shakes of cinnamon
- shake of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure natural vanilla
- 1/2 cup mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed*
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a casserole-type dish.
- Combine oats, brown sugar, fruit, walnuts, spices and baking powder. In a small bowl mix together flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken slightly. Combine almond milk, vanilla, mashed banana or applesauce, flaxseed mixture. Add wet to dry and stir until combined. Pour into the dish and sprinkle with wheat germ and bake 30 minutes.