This is a genuine southern cornbread recipe made vegan. It's traditionally baked in a cast iron skillet but a baking pan or glass baking dish can be used instead.
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening or oil
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups soymilk (more if needed to keep mixture fluid but still thick)
- 2 tablespoons soy sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in seasoned cast iron skillet until oil is hot.
- Mix all other ingredients together in a bowl and mix thoroughly until it is liquid but still somewhat thick.
- Pout batter into hot oil in skillet, immediately return to hot oven and bake for about twenty minutes, until top starts to brown. You might flip the bread over in the skillet to brown the top, but it's not a necessary step.
- Turn cornbread out onto a warm plate and slice into six or eight pieces, depending on the size of your skillet. Eat while hot.