Whole Wheat Blueberry Bread
This lovely bread is a seasonal favorite in the VegFamily kitchen. Fresh blueberries make this bread so wonderfull but you can use frozen, canned or even dried blueberries if that's what you have on hand.
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cups sugar or other sweetener
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice and grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup washed blueberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup flour
- In large bowl, sift dry ingredients together.
- In measuring cup, pour the juice and grated rind of 1 orange and add margarine. Add boiling water sufficient to make 3/4 cup. Stir this liquid into the dry ingredients, blending well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the berries (dry berries after washing), nuts, and 1/4 cup flour.
- Add this to the batter and stir gently, taking care not to mash the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan lined with wax paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan immediately.
If you prefer a mixture of flours simply use have whole wheat flour and add in the other half of a flour of your choice.
If you use canned blueberries that have any sort of added sugar or thickener be sure to adjust the sweetener and the liquid if necessary. If you use dried blueberries, soak them in water to plum them up a bit before adding to the batter.